Saturday, November 12, 2011

Dress up

What’s more fun than a barrel of monkeys?!

Me.

Or at least I was for Halloween this year.  This, dear friends, was my costume:


The idea came to me with the help of my roommate.  A few months ago, I was trying to figure out what I wanted to be (Halloween costumes are like the only thing I plan more than a few days in advance).  I wasn’t really coming up with much and I was getting nervous.  I had won costume contests two years running, and I was going for the turkey. The only thing I had so far was to be Sorry by recreating the lid of the board game and placing myself strategically inside.  I thought the concept was alright, but it wasn’t quite there; it didn’t tickle my fancy.  And I figured this costume was going to have to do some fierce tickling to Complete the Threepeat ™.  So I threw the idea out to my roomie and we proceeded to back-and-forth a couple of ideas.  Sticking with the childhood games theme, he suggested, “How ‘bout a barrel of monkeys?”  And then, thought I, Why not more fun than a barrel of monkeys?

It wasn’t as epic as that narration made it sound, but I thought it was A.) clever and B.) theoretically not too hard to make, though that’s always a dangerous underestimation of mine.  Being a perfectionist who likes to make their own costume causes the days leading up to Halloween to be bizzy.  But make it I did.  The barrel at least.  Let’s get crafty!

Ingredients:
2 Salad Bowls
A bunch of strips of cardboard
Aluminum Foil

Tape
Brown spraypaint
Plastic bags or some other creative stuffing
A bunch of monkeys

I started off by foraging for a bunch of cardboard boxes in the dumpster behind my work and then carrying them home along a busy street at rush hour as any normal person would. Then, I cut them into ~4 inch strips. Next was a trip to the dollar store.  I found a couple of salad bowls that actually ended up being more perfectly shaped than I could have imagined and I managed to get out of there having spent less than $20. Success!  This made things much simpler.  Kind of.  I taped the cardboard strips securely to the insides of one bowl so they were sticking straight up, kind of like this.  I then cut the bottom out of the second bowl (which is surprisingly hard and dangerous when using leather cutting scissors) and placed it on top of the standy cardboards.  Then I taped the crap out of it.  The structure was a little flimsy, so I stuffed it with a small portion of the hoard of grocery bags we have under our sink.  It came out looking full and voluptuous, as any barrel should.

Next came the spray paint.  I spray painted it. I then tooksome aluminum foil and tore it off in long sheets.  After folding them into long thin strips, I wrapped them around the barrel at its respective subtropics.  The finishing touch was filling the barrel with monkeys.


The rest of my costume was monkey/fun themed, making sure to point out that I was more fun than the copiously crowded barrel which accompanied me throughout the evening.  Behold:


PS I love the shirt.  DI.  $2.  Although I in no way condone tobacco use in animals.  Especially animals under 18.

I’ve always thought it’d be cool to have my own arts n crafts show.  Thanks for joining me today.  Now you know how I made my costume.  Did you care?  Either way you know now.  And knowledge is power.

2 comments :