Friday, October 14, 2011

Blushing Pilgrim

Romeo once described his lips as "two blushing pilgrims, ready stand[ing] to smooth [a] rough touch with a tender kiss."  Physiologically, blushing is the involuntary dilation of blood vessels, causing blood to flood to a certain part of the body.  Pilgrims are these.

Thus, yesterday at work, I could also describe my lips as the same—although his was a bunk pickup line and mine was a call for medical assistance.

I was sitting at my desk, doing my thang, when I noticed that my lips were not completely smooth.  Certain self-inflictive, OCD habits kicked in, and I tried to correct it.  Without going into much graphic detail, I ripped a ragged chunk of flesh out of my own lip and in sailed my bloody blushing pilgrim.  I was finally able to slow the bleeding, but only after about half an hour and one polka-dotted napkin.

And that was only about one half of it.

Who the heck even knew lips bled so much?  This guy sure didn't.  ...but the internet did.  So wise.  I did some research, and I guess lips are thin and house a lot of blood vessels and are moist, so it takes them a long time to heal.  And according to this little Copyrighted, Sample Use Only graphic that looks like a bald Jake Gyllenhaal, there's a main facial artery that runs right all up along there.  So there's like a constant flow of blood to keep things interesting.  Celebrity look-alikes:  Also So wise.

Welp.  Look like I've got a habit to break and not bleeding to death as incentive.  Cheers.


1 comment :