Friday, October 7, 2011

Aural Influx

If you know me like at all, you know that I love music.  I could listen to it all day long.  I also tinker with various musical instruments, a tinkering that brings me lots n lots of joy. 

That being said, it seems that my immensity of intensity towards music has been slightly more extreme than usual as of late.  I think this has had to do with my level of musical involvement.  I've been doing a bunch of musical stuff lately.  Some of it has been cool/fun.  Some of it has been... well... music-related.

First of all, I think I've been missing my drums a lot.  After all, I like to play.  This isn't simply a hunch, as it has been confirmed by weeks of revelatory behavior.  The first indication is a fairly normal one (for me at least) in that when I'm listening to music, I usually will drum along.  I have been doing so lately.  So if you see me on campus with my fingers flailing wildly about, just imagine them as short stubby drumsticks and it'll look a lot cooler and a lot less spastic.  I promise.  To go along with that, I did a wild double pen solo the other day.  In one of my classes, we had a guest speaker come and present a spiel about a thing:  Mildly entertained.  After said spiel, he announced that he had brought free pens from his company:  Super entertained!!!  I grabbed two for good measure on my way out the door.  They were of the clicky variety.  I walked along campus, enjoying my new acquisitions, one in each hand.  I began to click them, and my enjoyment increased.  After a few clicks of each, I discovered that I could coordinate the clicks into a pretty cool-sounding rhythm. Before long, I was performing a double pen solo, walking along and clicking away.  Luckily there weren't that many people on campus at that time.  But the ones that were got a percussive adumbration when they least expected it.  You're welcome.  The last but not the least involved milk.  And percussion.  I got home from the gym one day and proceeded to whip myself up a nutritive drink, as is my custom.  This drink involves the mixing of powder into a glass of milk and sitting back to enjoy.  As I stirred in the powder, I was surprised to find that the cup I had chosen was squarish in shape.  This made the stirring a little bit difficult, but I could deal.  After even further stirring, though, I came to find that the spoon made a cool clunkity noise on the cup whenever I would hit the adjacent side.  Therefore, the clunking became frequent as I repetitively spun the spoon in circles.  I also came to find that if I did it in a certain pattern, it made a cool rhythm.  So I continued to stir up the beatz, joyfully this time, and probably longer than necessary.  And my roommates were probably wondering what the heck I was doing.  But I'm sure they then got lost in the beatz and forgot everything.  Even who they were maybe

A couple of weeks ago, I played a gig with some friends.  My old ward was having a music night, in which I participated over the summer.  I had previously agreed to do it again, and so I played a couple of songs with a couple of peeps.  The first was a cover of Falling Slowly by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova from the movie Once and the second was a cover of Radiohead's Motion Picture Soundtrack, which may actually be my favorite song ever.  If not, it's pretty close.  The link is to an acoustic version, which is closer to what we played.  Should you dare, here is the album version.  It went well. :)

Last but certainly not least, I have been playing the musics with the Austin lately.  We may or may not be planning on sending in a demo to perform at Acoustic Explosion.  We've even got some original songs picked out and everything.  Look at us go.

So anyway.  Yeah.  I like music.



No comments :

Post a Comment