Thursday, January 17, 2013

Wrap Artist

Christmas is a time when we are wont to think of others.  By its very nature, the tradition of gift giving takes our minds off of ourselves and directs them outwardly.  What might (other entity) need?  What might benefit (other entity)?  What might be most useful to (other entity) at this stage of (its) (hypothetical) life? Relationships can be built and strengthened when one gives in to giving.

But I wonder if there might be a bit of disparity in the wide world of gifts. Does the simple act of giving a gift make what was given a good or thoughtful gift?  Does there exist such a thing as a bad gift when pure intentions are involved? If so, are there certain characteristics of the gift that might change its identity or quality as a gift?  Who knew gift giving could wax so philosophical? I’ll gift you an example and present you with the opportunity to decide for yourself.

I’m frighteningly bad at wrapping presents.  Like to the point where sometimes the recipients are afraid to establish physical proximity with the gifts they have received.  Are they still considered thoughtful even though they induce fright?  Would you consider something that brought you anxiety a thoughtful thing, even if that weren’t the intent with which it was given?  If sufficient thought preceded the giving of the gift, would not said thought anticipate said anxiety? Do these look thoughtful to you, hmm?








World's most hideous collage. Would you graciously receive something that looked so vile? All of these are fairly normally-shaped items. Well they were before they were wrapped, at least. I don’t know why it’s so hard for me. Generally I hold my own when it comes to crafty things, whatever that means.  Maybe it’s too complicated, even though I’ve had it simply explained to me a million times.  Maybe it’s apathy, though I don’t care enough to find out.  It's probably apathy. The wrapping always gets destroyed quickly and mercilessly for its insolence in presenting impediment from the enclosed giftage.  The wrapping in and of itself is only ever really appreciated as it adds to the beautiful scene of presents tidily prepared and organized under the tree as Christmas approaches.  But my presents never really make it under the tree far enough in advance to be appreciated in such a scene, therefore negating the need for them to be aesthetically appreciateable in nature.  Therefore again, despite the horrifying appearance of my gifts-from-the-heart, it shouldn’t matter that I don’t know how to perform the simple of task of coating an item in an extremely ductile and pliant substance. Just open the danged thing and let's establish a danged relationship.

Hopefully I’ve helped to convince you not to judge a book by its cover, to judge not that ye be not judged, to accept the beauty within, etc.  Otherwise I’ve just exposed a huge personal flaw to the whole internet and will spend the rest of my Christmases alone.  

No comments :

Post a Comment