Sunday, December 9, 2012

Halloween Garbage

Halloween is a time when things that are normally socially unacceptable suddenly become okayencouraged even.  Things like begging on people’s doorsteps, leaving rotting fruit all over your property, and cross-dressing.  That being the case, I try and take advantage of it as much as possible.  This Halloween was no different.

And cue segue into another segment of Arts & Crafts!

Halloween is kind of a big deal for me.  But like to the point where I generally have my costume envisioned by July.  I don’t plan for my future more than a few days in advance, but a one-night-only Halloween garb must be designed in excruciating detail months beforehand.  Logic aside, it makes for good times.  Sometimes.  Either way, I take much pride in my costume design.  And also puns.  This year’s costume:  a sand witch.  Join me as I explain how to make the most delicious sand witch you’ve ever seen/possibly tasted (though I don’t recall having any taste-testers as a reference from witch to draw).

Step 1.  Which witch
The first part of the costume design was to distinguish which witch.  Regular witches generally dress in black garb and are loomed upon by Nicolas Cage.  I wanted a sand witch, so I sought sand garb and no Nicolas Cage.  I found it in a used, lovely, creamy beach-mumu of sorts at my local thrift store.  Thrift indeed.  It was short for breathability and beach lazing and was also sand-colored.  
As a witch, a witch hat was also needed.  This was also supplied by the thrift store.  It was like a normal witch hat.  For now. Lastly I got some             beach-colored casual beach shoes.  For the illusion of beach.

Step 1a.  Beachin’

To complete the distinguishment, I used spray adhesive to cover both my new new mumu and the normal witch hat in a layer of sand.  There was sand everywhere.  Just like deserts.  Or beaches.  Or one's body after engaging in a desert or beach. I even bought little seashells to add to the beachin’ illusion.




Step 2.  Accoutrements

Now that I think about it, there was no real second step.  That was pretty much it.  I got a broom and a tan to accentuate the sand-like freckles all over my body and I was ready to go.  Sand witch.


Overall, it was an enjoyable costume.  It was pretty easy to make and wasn’t realistic enough to get me into trouble.  The only issue was that I made a fine mess everywhere I went, as it turns out sand doesn’t adhere super well to fabric.  At least not the way I did it.  But luckily I was packing a broom and could clean up my own fine mess right away.  Or if I was too embarrassedas witches are wont to beI could fly away into the night, cackling, or sobbing.  Witches.  So prepared.  

1 comment :

  1. GOOD ONE! Haa ha! You're costumes are always the best Kams!

    ReplyDelete